The choice between stainless steel and glass columns depends on specific needs, preferences, and the overall distillation setup.
Here are some benefits of a stainless steel column:
- Durability and Longevity: Stainless steel is known for its durability and resistance to corrosion. This makes stainless steel columns a long-lasting and robust option. Glass columns can be fragile and prone to breakage.
- Grows with your short path: Unlike a glass column which is very particular to the short-path set-up it’s purchased with, a stainless steel column can be retrofitted to larger setups. Our stainless steelhead can be fitted onto a 2L, 5L, or even 10L short path.
- Ease of Cleaning: Stainless steel is relatively easy to clean and sanitize. This is essential for maintaining a hygienic distillation process and preventing contamination.
- Chemical Compatibility: Stainless steel is highly resistant to solvents, acids, and bases which can be encountered during the distillation process. This chemical resistance can help prevent corrosion and ensure the purity of the distillate.
- Heat Transfer: Stainless steel has good thermal conductivity, which can contribute to efficient heat transfer during the distillation process. This can lead to faster and more consistent distillation rates.
- Cost: Our stainless steel head will save you money on purchasing extra glass heads which can be both fragile and costly.
Pro-tip: We recommend cleaning your short path after every use. Using our Mega-Kleen is faster and more effective than ethanol. Mega-Kleen leaves no residue and it’s not flammable. This ensures that you don’t have any contamination when you start your next distillation cycle. Mega-Kleen dilutes 10-1 in water so one bottle can work for multiple sonicating baths.
What are some drawbacks when considering switching to a stainless column?
- Visibility: A Glass column allows for easy visual monitoring of the distillation process. This can be important for assessing the separation of compounds and making adjustments. If this is a priority for you, we offer a glass thermowell lid that allows you to see the process as it happens.
- Potential Reactivity: Stainless steel is generally chemically resistant, it can be attacked by strong acids and high-concentration chloride or bromide solutions (not anything common in cannabis processing )
Ultimately, the choice between a stainless steel column and a glass column depends on specific factors. These factors include specific compounds being distilled, desired purity levels, the distillation process parameters, budget constraints, and more. If you have any questions feel free to contact us at [email protected] or call us directly at (213) 265-7744